Review of Siser Easy Patterns Heat Transfer Vinyl Black Heritage                                                 
                                                          


Hello my lovelies. Today I will be reviewing Siser's African Heritage Print HTV.  Now I know it is after Black History Month, but let's face it, isn't it ALWAYS Black History Month if you really get down to it?? Plus, I was supposed to put up content for the blog at least once a month, and this month I was dragging my feet. Plus I didn't know what subject I was going to review or create. But then I had purchased some African inspired HTV, and figured I would talk about how it handled and looked on the finished project. Sooo....


I had been hemming and hawing over this vinyl. What really made me bite the bullet and go in on the $24.99 Right.. that part, (but $18.00 or so with the Michael's sale at the time), was a  man who felt the need, as he rode by on his bike while I was approaching my car, and yell out , you guessed it, "******s".  That really helped  me to make the decision to go on and get the vinyl.  I had been seeing it for about a month or so previously and liked one of the patterns a lot, but really didn't have a need to get it. I'm still learning how to use my Cricut  Maker  at this point, and haven't gotten the total hang of it yet. You know, still YouTubing stuff. But now, it seemed I was on a mission! Now listen, I know Randy the Racist wasn't going to see what ever I had in mind create, but it would make me feel a whole lot better. Kinda like my, "I'll show you," or MFU (Middle Fingers UP 😅).


  The selection for these prints is very small. There are only two patterns so far from Siser A. and B., shown below, so I really didn't have much to choose from, and can't give you more of a comparison. I have however, since using this vinyl, seen other Kente patterns on Amazon, and at some later date may try them out, though I wasn't too impressed with a few of them that I viewed. They seemed to lack the vibrancy that I was looking for. Then some of the patterns were...Eh.


Do be advised, that at the time of this posting March/April 2021, if you do find the African print vinyl, you may only find it in very, very limited supply at the craft store of your choice. I was in my local Michael's, and there was only two rolls left, and back at it's original price. However, you may get lucky and find some in the clearance sections, but don't count on it. Just be on the lookout next year before Black History Month hits so you can be ready to swoop up these HTVs!! I also believe that you may only find the Siser African Prints at Michaels. I had not shopped around as this was only going to be a test run for me. I liked the idea of it, but hadn't any intention on buying the vinyl initially. 


Maybe in the coming year, Siser will venture into expanding the  print line with other African print patterns as popularity grows over these vinyl rolls, and Michael's will make them a touch more crafter friendly in the pricing area. Definitely that last part right? But for now these are the two you have. 


A.
Siser Easy Patterns Heat Transfer Vinyl,  Black Heritage Patterns Kente II



B.
Siser Easy Patterns Heat Transfer Vinyl, Black Heritage Patterns Soul II

 Now, I liked the colors of them both, but I wasn't in love with them both. Just saying. It was only going to be one for the price! Therefore, drum roll please.... I chose A. I really can't say why. I mean B was nice, but no bells or whistles went off for me. B I think it would work well with a large image that didn't have too much detail or images, and I wasn't sure what I was going to do yet. Once you get to know me, you will see I like detail. Even when there doesn't need to be, I give detail. LOL. 


 I am not new to the Siser brand of HTV.  As I have said before, I am fairly new to the vinyl and cutting world, so I only knew of the Cricut  and Siser brands of vinyl because that was all that was available at Michael's and Joann's. It hadn't even considered Amazon. I'm about six months into this now, and have searched, searched, and researched, other brands. Once I found out that I did not have to be tied to a specific htv just because I have that brand's cutting machine, I began to branch out. Amazon and YouTube is your friend 😁.

 

 I have gotten the glow in the dark HTV, again, at $20 plus dollars at Michael's, but I did have an intended design for it, so I was prepared to spend the 💰💰. Didn't say I wanted to, just was prepared for it. With that being said, I already had an expectation of what I would get from this new vinyl. I mean ,was pleased with the final projects with the glow, as I call it.

 

 The glow weeded easy, transferred great onto my pieces, and I had no issues with it. Any issues I did have was placement, or not leaving the heating device on long enough for the image to adhere, and had to reapply the vinyl. That's an artist/crafter issue, not a product one. So I figured, same company, similar experience and outcome on the final item .



Siser Glow In The Dark HTV

 

Finished Project with original design

 

Finished project with original design

 

 As you see in the pictures above, this vinyl comes on a roll of  11.8 in. x 24 in. or 29.97 cm. x 60.96 cm.. I thought I would save you the trouble of zooming in on the ittty bitty pics of the rolls, so if you are not doing a project that requires the full length of it, you will need to cut it to the size of the mat you are using. Which would usually be the Cricut mat or what ever brand you have found 12 in. x 12 in. or 30.48 cm. x  30.48 You could use the longer ones, but if you are a newbie, stick with the 12x12.

I didn't like the initial feel of the vinyl fresh off the roll. The Heritage lacked the smoothness of the glow in the dark vinyl. It felt too plastic for my taste. Like it would tare. I like a somewhat thin or silk screen feel to my HTV once it is attached to the intended item. It lets the item move freely rather than being stiff and what I call "crunchie". 


After the weeding that took forever. Photo quality isn't the greatest 😏


Mask Side A




Mask Side B





Completed design on cotton Tee



As you can see, I did finally get my image transferred. My design adhered to both the mask and the shirt well enough. Although it did take quite a few passes on the mask. That could be because of the space in which the craft iron had to work with. The 100% cotton  part and the thickness contributed to the pressing time. So I won't that on the vinyl. I didn't feel the vinyl through the mask, and that was due, again, to the thickness of the material. 

The t-shirt faired a bit better. But here is where I could feel the vinyl. Not as bad as what I had described earlier with the self contained sauna, but more than I would have liked. It didn't take as long as the mask, but you could definitely feel the texture of the vinyl. Overall I am pleased with the aesthetics of the items that I used the Heritage vinyl. My main issue is the weeding. 


The weeding process took too long for my liking, even after I did what I was supposed to do in the first place. I had to be real tender with my image. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not in the habit of just ripping the vinyl from the carrier sheet, but this was labor intensive. I used both my excular knife and a weeding tool just to get the corner up. I then had to keep turning my image liftin here and there. Again, this is not unusual for weeding an item.  I expect a longer process if you have a more detailed oriented project. Something like a animal with a lot of spots, or a showed piece. But this was a pretty basic silhouette. Shoulda been in and out on this one, and the time spent more on the silk screening and placement of the images instead.


Now after doing a Google search to get a thumb nail photo to put at the beginning of this post, I was lead to other Siser African inspired HTV. Just google  Siser EasyPatterns. A few thumbnails should pop up with a few other African inspired patterns, which should lead you to Siser's whole sale page.


Well guys, that is all I have for you this time around. I hope I have helped out with your decision on trying out the Siser  Easy Patterns Heat Transfer Vinyl, Black Patterns series. I As I said above, it may be to late by the time you read this post, so try looking out for it a month or so before Black History month comes around. Plan now!



I thank you so much for stopping by. Forgive any issues with the blog, it's still a little rough. I will get better. Promise. Drop me a line or comment here or at the below places if this has helped you. Or, pass it on to a friend who is interested. TTYL 💓


Check me out:    IG: @Creations_Bi_Kimberly
                            FB:  Creations Bi Kimberly
                            EM: creationsbikimberly@gmail.com
                    Mercari:   Kims Crochet & Things



Comments

Popular Posts