Black Channels and pages to follow for 2021



Crochet Channels to follow for 2021 Part I

 

  **Disclaimer**  Let me start 2021 off with right by giving shout outs to some black fiber artists of whom I follow on YouTube or Instagram, or both. I believe in sharing and making sure that our artists of what ever medium get the credit due them. Now, I don't want anyone to feel slighted or left out. However, getting recognition and or sales is  harder for the African American artist as with most anything that we do or want to participate in. Oh, by the way, I am of that persuasion as well.😍 Please, if you feel some type of way about this list of artisans, please do not hesitate to look elsewhere for inspiration. I do not want to offend, but I will not apologize for this targeted spot light, but I do want give flowers before it's too late πŸŽ•πŸŽ•πŸŽ•. I will, in future posts highlight other art types as well as artists  and crafters as I get a better handle on blogging. Thank you for understanding.


I'm going to keep this short, only going to list five channels to keep an eye out for as I'm just getting back into this world of web, and like to fact check my own info so as I am not putting something out there that ain't true. And sometimes that takes me a while 😏. So please forgive my meager list I will follow up with a part 2 after doing more research. But please don't think that these talented people that I list below don't got skills!!


I like most, click on one subject on YT (YouTube for those of you who have not needed to fix, sew, make, or do anything in the last 14 years)***, then fall down the rabbit hole, and discover something entirely different. Don't act like this is a new phenomenon, you are guilty too. In taking that trip to find the rabbit (Alice In Wonderland reference), I have come across some fantastic yarn art designers and crocheters. I look at their work thinking I need to step up my game! Boy, do I need to step up my game!! Though I have come a long way from my first hat (see first photo below), I'm doing pretty well, at least in my mind,(see second photo). What do you think?


 1.
What was I thinking?? 😱


 2.πŸ‘



 Enough of my showing off, on to the list of fiber artists in no particular order:



 1. Littlejohn's yarn-YouTube. With this artist, Alysha Lilttlejohn, hence the name. You get a multitude of information, ranging from yarn business tips, tricks, and patterns, with a bonus of crochet yarn, and gadget reviews. Guest yarners pop up for reviews from time to time, adding to the reviews. Her pattern tutorials have a no nonsense flavor, given with detailed directions, and clear hand stitch views of what's going on in the pattern the viewer is currently engaged in. Her IG Lives are hilarious. Grab a cup, mug, wine glass, to toast the goings on (you need only to watch one Live to understand). You won't be sorry. 

 I had gotten hooked on her channel because of these, WELL after the Live air, when somehow her channel came up while I was searching for something yarn related, though for the life of me, I can't remember what it was. She can be found every where; Etsy, Ravelry, Face Book, her blog, and what ever Google search you look up.3  The funny thing is,  I had favored a few of her patterns on Ravelry way way back, and realized this fact after watching her YouTube channel and had recognized a hat I had in my library!! She has a lot of great patterns, a lot of them free, and she also has giveaways. Who doesn't like free and giveaways??πŸ™‹



 ** 2.The Yarn Snob AKA Toni-YouTube. I came across this lady as a result of catching Littlejohns' channel on YouTube. I kept hearing the name, which made me curious. So, after catching a Live stream, I went to her channel. I must say, I really enjoyed her reviews on yarn. I did come away with an understanding on a few yarns I'm familiar with by name. 

I would say check her out if you are unsure on starting a project with a specific yarn so that you don't end up with a basket full of skeins you don't want and spent way too much on something that you could have made due with a thriftier yarn. This fiber artist gives great and detailed information on weights, colors, feels, etc. on yarn that won't leave you confused on what you need for any given project. Her delivery on these details, are refreshing, and funny. I sat through a 18 minute review on Lion Brand and JOANN's summer yarns, just listening, and felt very informed on the yarns, and what they would be best used for. You can catch her on her blog: tlycblog, where you may find some cute FREE patterns, Cozy  Club Newsletter. Not to be out done, you will find yummy giveaways on Miss Toni's blog as well. 


**3.  Chasing Sun Raee-YouTuber with 25.9k followers, this lovely's crochet skills be off-the-chain!! I really want to try her Dramatic Bell Sleeve Sweater Episode 22, I put that bad boy in my favorites though I feel a bit intimidated. I'm not sure why, I did try one of her tutorials: Super Long Fringe Crop Top Episode 12. And I think it came out pretty good. I must admit, I did get extra, and beaded it in a few places. Just go through her library, I just did, and found her Bob's Pullover Hoodie, I simply must try, you will find something that will inspire you. Her colors are poppin', and style is on a scale from cute to fireπŸ”₯. You definitely will not be disappointed. You can find her on the YouTube sceen: Chasing Sun Raee TV or IG: @chasingsunraee, FB: Chasing SunRaee Sun Clan, Twitter: @ChasingSunRaee



 Long Fringe Top, now a dress 





   4.ParlezVousCrochet, Jaime, has what you need when looking for cute crochet earrings. I just peeped her newest little treasure, hoop heart earrings!! LOVE them! now, don't think that that's all you'll be getting with this crafter. Oh, not a all! She has little earring kits for those who want to try their hand at hooking.

 You also can't go wrong with the great up close tutorials she has, and her "Crochet N' Chats and Crochet Parties! The tutorials show how the hook is placed and inserted in the desired space, great for beginners, or those returning for a refresher course. Sorry to say, I have not yet tried one of her kits, but one of these days, I am going to catch her in person at The Knitting Tree in Inglewood C.A., as we both are here in LA! (Permission by the artist to include these photos) 


 







  **5. hookedoncozy
-or Essence has the cutest little Amigurumi Poke Mon critters! Oh, don't get me wrong, those "Gotta catch them all", items are not her only creative jam. There are hat, beanies, scarfs, glove, blankets, you get the idea. She got a little bit for everybody. Now if you call yourself a "Trainer", you will have to check out, or maybe even get one! You can find these rays o' cuteness in her Etsy store, Facebook, her online shop linktr.ee/hookedoncozy, and of course IG: @hookedoncozy. (I have not been able to get to this crafty chick, therefore, no photos. As I said, I do not like to include without permission) You have the links, hit her up.


 ****(Hooker  from the 1800s----when the only people who crocheted were ...that's right Ladies of the Night, after the rich Europeans all but abandoned the art of lace making. They didn't want to walk around with the same things as the common people, ( wow, times don't change) and decided to bad mouth the practice, in effect making crochet lesser in the eyes of everyone than knitting was, and it is looked at as not as dignified,  even to this day. There seems to have been some type of widespread abuse in the manufacturing of lace, so much so that American women after hearing that a lace manufacturer said he expected his workers to "entertain" to make up for the lack in pay that he was providingπŸ˜’ they took up the hook themselves so as not to contribute to the horrors that were being experienced by women elsewhere. Though the  origin of the word is a bit hard to pin point. I say Google it. It's quite interesting.


Love the work of theses people.


Thank you for coming

Please forgive me if I have not included all the links to these wonderful yarn artists, I still haven't gotten the hang of linking and what not. I do try to research to make sure that the links and names that I do include do work, or will at least lead you to a search that will get you to these artists.


Note:

Artist with ** Have not been contacted for their content.

*** YouTube started in San Mateo, C.A. on February 14, 2005

**** Debbie Stoller author of Stitch 'N Bitch Crochet The Happy Hooker by way of  Donna Kooler and her book The Encyclopedia of Crochet)


Don't forget to follow on IG

Check me out:    IG: @Creations_Bi_Kimberly
                            FB:  Creations Bi Kimberly
                            EM: creationsbikimberly@gmail.com
                    Mercari:   Kims Crochet & Things

Comments

Popular Posts