CRICUT'S INFUSABLE INK SHEETS



 When dealing with infusible paper out here in these streets, I have devised a system to make the loading process smoother and less stressful. I really started doing this with my vinyl sheets that were packaged around tubes. I did it out of pure frustration, trying to uncurl the vinyl with one hand, while trying to place it on the cutting mat with the other was a whole situation. 

 I mean really, it is a full-on pain trying to get the sheet to stick to the mat, coming straight out of the packaging. And this has nothing in the world to do with using Cricut approve vinyl or Dollar Tree vinyl **(see Vinyl At Dollar post)**, or some you may purchase from Amazon. Those sheets have been in a a monogamous relationship with the cardboard tubes since the factory hook-up, and they do not like to stay down on the cutting mats without some assistance. 


If the vinyl is in, or wrapped around a tube, there is going to be a tendency to curl and drive you the f#--um...nuts. This could be even more of a problem if your mat is less than store bought sticky due to lint and residue from other projects. Cause let's face it. You know that using vinyl is not the only crafting vice that has you on lock. I know you out there binge-watching videos trying to do every DIY YouTube project that comes across your feed. Girl., if you don't stop lying. Not to mention that all, or most of said projects share space on that crafting table. Not that I'm spilling tea, I'm just saying. That sticky on the mat just don't stick with particles of your child's glittered mermaid crown.


My method? Simple: place your sheet(s) with some sort of parchment paper, or the original plastic for vinyl, on the "ink" side down to separate if you are doing multiple sheets. Make sure that they are free of ANY debris, liquid, particles from other projects.  Once liquid or oil hits these sheets, unless on the corners or along the edges, you may have a wasted sheet.

Then sandwich said sheets between completely flat and smooth books, wood blocks, or any flat surface you may have, taking care that the objects should completely cover your sheets, and not have grooves, lines or any other imperfections. Let sit for a few days, or weeks if you don't need them right away.  


If you don't have completely smooth weighted objects, you run the risk of dents or creases, even patterns from your weights embedding themselves into the sheets, a major problem when it comes time to lay heat to them, causing creases and patterns from the indentations of the objects onto your finished piece. And did I mention these sheets cost?? 😱 unlike with vinyl, you cannot just simple cut a small section and patch up a mistake, or reheat and lift off the offending design.  That woodgrain pattern is here to stay baby.


 On the other hand, if you are trying to incorporate that effect for your final piece, by all means weight the sheets down with patterned objects to create that particular effect you are going for. Just be sure to weigh the sheets down with the same thing and group together when storing so that you don't make a mistake and use the wrong pattern piece.


The sheet itself is a semi thick card stock type. Now don't get me wrong, I love the outcome when it goes right. It gives the look and feel that the image you created was made into the item during manufacturing. Plus, the fact that if you do not have the equipment or space for sublimation materials, this is the way to go.




Now will you still have to tape it down, risking getting any oil or moisture from your hands onto the sheet. Even with gloves, you can leave a mark on the ink side, so this is where ????

With infusible ink, I have come to realize, to cut down on my anxiety, I just put on some plastic gloves. And lets face it, who doesn't have those now with Rona Rona still lurking about. I have not tried to handle the paper with rubber or latex type gloves, so I cannot say how handling the sheets will fair. I feel that the treatment that is on the printing side would rub off with handling, and that stuff is too damn expensive to rub off! And, I know me, I'm going to not mirror my image, or have the wrong size image and will have to adjust something. No need to ad to my issues.

Comments

Popular Posts